Gongronema latifolium (Utazi) smoothie is not common to everyone but very beneficial in preventing and treating certain common diseases and ailments.
Fresh gongronema latifolium (Utazi) Leaves, can be chewed, use it to make smoothies or cook with it as a vegetable.
It is mainly consumed in the Western part of Africa (Nigeria) for nutritional and medicinal reasons.
Utazi Leaf is a source of vitamins and minerals like zinc, calcium,phosphorus,niacin,retinol, potassium,magnesium, sodium and iron.
Fresh Utazi Leaf Uses
1. fresh Utazi Leaf is a vegetable commonly used in soups and porridge. It is the key ingredient in pepper soup, for a nursing mother that just delivered.
2. It cleans the uterus after childbirth and reduce pain of the abdomen. Nursing mothers can use this leaves to control their weight after birth.
3.It is also used to create medicinal teas, You can even add the dry leaves to a hot pot of water for a healthy infusion!
4. fresh Utazi Leaves are used to treat flu and cold, intestinal worms, dysentery, dyspepsia, and malaria.
5. According to a study conducted in 2010, the leaves have antiplasmodial activity. That fact confirms that utazi leaves can be used as a medicine for malaria disease.
6. The leaves help the liver to carry out detoxification. This extract is used to remove the effects of alcohol and prevent the effects of alcohol on the liver.
7.Uatzi leaf contain Flavonoids which have been reported to exert wide range of biological activities.
These include: anti inflammatory,
anti bacterial, anti viral, anti allergic, cytotoxic anti tumour,
treatment of neurodegenerative diseases and vasodilatory action.
8. The enzymes in utazi leaf provides antioxidant actions in the body that lower cholesterol level in the body.
Method of making Gongronema latifolium (Utazi) smoothie
1.Puck the utazi leaf off from the stem and wash.
2.Peel the avocado,a clove of garlic and tumeric.
3.Cut in cube and put in a blender, add the fresh utazi, water and blend together.
4.Pour in a glass and serve cold or room temperature.
One of my is research gotten from;